During the meeting with my co-director last night, we began discussing venues where we might take this melodrama. We could use the church, of course, but since we want this to be a community outreach, we’re concerned that performing at a church would limit the community response.
We’d been praying about this for weeks, and no solution had presented itself.
We were just sitting and talking in the cafe, and like a light switch turning on, I suddenly remembered something. I have a good friend who runs something of a theatre company near Park City (not really a theatre company, but I’m not sure what else to call it; it’s a place to get dinner and a show). I had completely forgotten about her until sitting down to coffee with my co-director.
So I emailed her this morning. Trouble was, the email address I have for her is ancient. I wasn’t even sure if it were still active or not. So I prayed over my email and hit the send button. It didn’t come back, so I figured at least the account was still active.
About an hour or so later, I got a reply.
My friend told me in the email that she was highly interested in allowing us to use their facility for a greatly reduced rate. She also gave me another email address to use that she checks more frequently. She told me then that she never checks the address I had used, but for some reason she had checked it today.
Quite a coincidence, wouldn’t you say?
Nothing’s set in stone, but at least we have one option available now! Yay!!
After an uplifting and encouraging meeting over coffee, my friend and fellow thesbian and I have decided to be co-directors in this melodrama monstrosity. So Linda Castleberry and I will be working side-by-side to make this thing happen.
I’m very excited because Linda is so much fun to work with, and she has a lot of experience onstage.
So the goal for this week is to secure a location and a performance date (or dates). After that is accomplished, we can hammer down the other nagging details. While we were talking, too, I had a sudden insight. God brought to mind a family I know that has access to a stage and performance area. So I shot an email off to them this morning, and we’ll see what happens.
There are still a lot of obstacles to overcome, but if God wants this community theatre to happen, He’ll work it all out.
Hmmmm . . . . at least according to the Rainbows United web site, Families Together, Inc. is one of their affiliates. I think this is another indication that I need to talk to my cousin Steve about possibly getting some help with the melodrama production.
Well, the decision has been made. Lord willing, I’ll be directing a dinner theatre/melodrama at the beginning of May. The script is one of mine, called A Wild Goose Chase and it’s specifically intended to allow families with disabled children to come adn participate. All along we’ve been hoping to perform as a fund raiser for Families Together, a not-for-profit that provides resources and education for families with disabled children.
I wasn’t sure what was going to happen with my schedule, but it looks like it will work out.
Auditions are tentatively scheduled for March 10, but there’s a freakin’ load of work that needs to be done before we get there. In one month, I’ve got to:
1. Find a venue to perform (whether it’s off campus or at the church) – this is the most important right now
2. Set a performance date
3. Designate a rehearsal schedule
4. Pick an assistant director, a stage manager, a costume manager, a prop manager, a publicity manager, a ticket manager, a food manager, a fund manager (or a producer), and a few others who are very important
Only after those things are finished can we hold the auditions, cast characters, and begin rehearsals.
I think this is going to be a lot of fun, and I’m really praying that it can help a lot of people.